Friday 14 October 2011

Videogame review: Ratcher & Clank: Quest for Booty


An anthropomorphic wombat battles undead pirates in the far future.

Ratchet & Clank descend from an illustrious tradition. There was a time where a console line up was composed primarily of game like this one, with bright primary colors, cartoony graphics, some platforming and some fighting.
Before playing this one, thank you Sony for your welcome back gift, I didn’t realize that apart from Nintendo land I can’t think of any other game that continues in this tradition. This is a shame, I can still remember countless hours playing with Mario and his ilk but evidently First Person Shooters need even more shelf space.
Moving to the game itself I must confess that it doesn’t live up to his forebears. Maybe I’m getting too old but the humor and the anthropomorphic characters are simply not engaging for me.
The graphics are certainly nice but the game play is so and so.
Mainly half of the time is devoted to puzzles and platforming sequences, nothing too hard and certainly enjoyable stuff. Our hero is literally armed with a futuristic spanner which he can use to interact with various objects in a not very intuitive way.
The other half of the time is occupied with fighting the undead pirates. I didn’t like it very much, honestly it wasn’t very entertaining, it felt like a chore that I had to go trough to progress in the game.
The game is very short, only 4 hours, and honestly not very good, I imagine that if you want this kind of stuff you need to buy a Wii.

No comments:

Post a Comment