Tuesday 6 September 2011

DVD review: I hate valentine's day


Genevieve really contrived ideas about romantic relationship are challenged.
Another day, another rom com.
This is the latest effort from Nia Vardalos who became an overnight sensation with “My big fat Greek weeding”, which she wrote and starred in, but then was never able to get back her mojo. All her subsequent efforts, including this one, bombed at the box office (Don’t cry for her, with the royalties from “My big fat Greek weeding” she’ll never be poor).
The premise is bizarre and convoluted and basically drags down the first thirty minutes of the movie, honestly only extreme tiredness stopped me from getting another movie considering that I didn’t even crack a smile in the first half hour, but then the movie switched gears and suddenly started being funny. This is still not a comic masterpiece but managed to entertain us in the end.
It is worth noticing that the movie started working when it moved to the classic rom com plot, even openly acknowledging it at time. It’s difficult to move in uncharted territory, I think that there are occasions when it’s better for writer to stick to more familiar territory.
The two protagonists are slightly miscast. They do their jobs but really this is a role for younger people. On the other side I understand that they wanted to do the “The two leads from My big fat Greek weeding are back together for the first time”, maybe with a better ad campaign about that they could have had a decent box office.

No comments:

Post a Comment