Sunday 23 August 2009

The terrible first post

The terrible first post.

Certainly is an act of Hubris to start a blog. By definition you presume that you will be writing something worth reading.

I also decided to write in English, to better my writing in that language. Because I’m not English but I’ve been living for a year in an English speaking country.

So to write something worthwhile in a different language. We’ll see where I’ll get.

Back to the terrible first post.

What prompted me to start this?

The one and only Neil Gaiman.

I love his comics, his books, everything that he’s been doing. I like so much what he does that is difficult for me to express it in a reasonable way. Maybe this is a good topic for another post.

Anyway Gaiman has been writing a blog for years. When questioned about this he answered that for him is like stretching is writing muscles before starting the actual writing and that when it will become an obligation he will stop it.

This is very cool and I think he is right. Practice makes perfect but I can’t start by writing “The divine comedy”, I must first heat up.

The other day he was in Edinburgh for the book festival. Being myself I was too late for the tickets of his talk with Ian Rankin. I thought that I could meet him afterward and get a book signed but the girls in the signing tent told me that I could have a signed copy only after the people with a ticket. This was meaning many hours of queue.

I was dejected but while I was going away I caught a glimpse of the man himself entering the event tent. He even smiled in my direction but before I could even wave my hand he had to enter.

So here I am because if I don’t do this thing now after seeing Neil Gaiman in person I’ll never do it and I’m not ready to give up my dreams.

So long

1 comment: